Tuesday, January 6, 2009

One Black Belt's Goals

I have one major goal: 3rd Degree Black Belt

The requirements for this incredible, almost unbelievable goal are twofold:

  1. Mastery of the art of Kenpo
  2. Physical conditioning

As for the art itself, there are 128 techniques and 6 major forms. A technique is a self-defense scenario, where a form is a set of basics and/or techniques in isolation. I have to know them, not just know of them. As in: perform on command without hesitation or thought.

The physical conditioning is more hazy. There will probably be a requirement of 60 pushups, 100 crunches, or something like that, so I'm just going to aim for 100 pushups and 200 crunches. Also, I want to be un-phased by running my material. At the end of the test I should be tired, but not during it.

Sunday I woke up at 6am and practiced with a 4th degree black belt for 2 hours. No instruction, just as a workout buddy. Thirty minutes of forms, one hour of techniques, thirty minutes of bag work. The goal is to continue this every Sunday, so a 2 hour workout will feel normal.

The testing sequence starts in February, the final test is in May. I will earn my 3rd Degree Black Belt in May.

3 comments:

  1. I have absolutely no doubt you will achieve this goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, my stomach hurts just reading this! From what we're seen we're sure you can do this too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I come to tell you a good news, a while back in October in Taiwan, there was an abandonned little Pug who were being rescued by a good heart hooman, please visit Dino's blog to witness a true loving story http://ilovedino.blogspot.com/
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete