Wednesday, January 14, 2009

EFT

I hesitated about mentioning EFT as part of my goal setting because it sounds very woo woo and in the past I had mixed results with it.

Lately, I've been doing more research (using myself as a guinea pig) and much to my delight I'm starting to see more results, so I'll share this info with anyone who wants to use it to help them achieve their goals, etc.

First of all, it was created by Gary Craig and rather than paraphrase, here's what he says on his site:

"Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) is
an emotional, needle free version of acupuncture that is based on new discoveries regarding the connection between your body's subtle energies, your emotions, and your health. EFT has been reported successful in thousands of cases covering a huge range of emotional, health and performance issues. It often works where nothing else will." ~ http://www.emofree.com/

People use EFT for all kinds of things, including weight loss, fears/phobias, abuse issues, anger, depression, insomnia, achieving goals, etc.

Gary provides free instructions on his site and offers a free newsletter.

There is lots of free info online, including YouTube. I've found the following people to be helpful: Dr. Mercola
http://www.mercola.com/forms/eftcourse.htm and Gloria Arenson http://www.gloriaarenson.com/. It really started to come together for me in an intuitive way when I came across Michele Price's site http://successwitheft.com/. She offers free teleclasses (which I haven't participated in yet). I found her to be very supportive when I emailed her.

It's simple to learn, but it can take awhile to get to the roots of your issues. That's why drinkers, for example, will give up drinking and start smoking or eating more.

There are lots of books available. I've so far read The Promise of Energy Psychology by David Feinstein, Donna Eden and Gary Craig. It's good, but I would like it a lot more if it had an index. I started, but haven't yet finished, Gloria Arenson's Five Simple Steps To Emotional Healing. I would like to read Freedom at Your Fingertips: Get Rapid Physical and Emotional Relief with the Breakthrough System of Tapping by Joseph Mercola and Ron Ball. Unfortunately, it's not available in Toronto, so when my cash flow improves I'll likely order it from amazon.com.

Hope this helps!

4 comments:

  1. Judy, thank you so much for your thoughtful and insightful comment on my post. I think you are right on all accounts and I will look in to those books.
    Don't worry about a theory sounding too 'woo woo' - if it works for you, it works for you. To each their own. I wish you lots of good luck with the EFT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, one more thing: what you said about splitting meals with your partner is EXACTLY what I have started doing since I got married (a year and a half ago....exactly the same time I started gaining weight). We try to divvy it up to be fair, when in reality that portion I give myself or he gives me is HUGE - it may be right for him (also a 6'3'' giant with enviable metabolism), but for me it is just way too much food. This past week I have made a conscious effort to only put on my plate what I need to be full, rather than splitting what I've made down the middle.
    Thanks again for the comment and support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I don't dispute that EFT can work, as an acupuncturist I find it highly offensive that Craig says it is a needle free version of acupuncture. It's not. I have done EFT. I know naturopaths who swear by it. It's a fine system, but it has nothing at all whatsoever to do with acupuncture except that it uses most of the same points (and not all).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is all very interesting. And whatever works for you, use it!

    :)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete