Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year - New Goals!

There are thousands of excuses for every failure, but never a good reason." -- Mark Twain


Okay, folks, it's that time of year again. Where we proudly state our intent and plan to stick to, to see it through, to achieve that which we desire.

I have achieved two of my goals for last year. I achieved the rank of Second Degree Black Belt and I passed in my Intermediate Teaching Certification. I hit some bumps in the road (don't we all?) however. I have chondromalacia in my right knee. It is "anterior knee pain due to irritation of the cartilage on the undersurface of the kneecap." That made running hard and not something I would do more than necessary. I lost control of my weight and I need to lose a good 25 pounds. I also want to be a better black belt, more organized with my time, and do my checkbook every week. So those are my goals. I want to hear about YOUR goals.

But first, I want to give a great SHOUT OUT to DKM for awesome taking the bull by the horns and really achieving some SERIOUS goals.

  • When I started in January I had a prominent limp and could walk on the treadmill for 10 min at 1.4 miles per hour. Now, I have no limp and walk 60 min at 3.5 miles an hour
  • I’ve dropped over 40 pounds (that’s the 20 I gained after injuring my knee and more)
  • Cut my food spending bill by not eating out as much - I'm hoping to cut it in half by the end of the year
  • I can swim a mile
  • I’m now drinking at least a liter of water a day
  • Wearing clothing that I’ve not worn in 12 years
  • Went for a hike for the first time in 15+ years
  • I signed up to walk a 5K (and she succeeded in doing it!)
  • Donated over 150 pieces of clothing & linens to the women’s shelter
  • Donated 200 books and CD to my grandmother’s assisted living facility
  • Gutted and cleaned two rooms of my house from top to bottom getting rid of everything and anything that I’ve not used in the past year. It was a lot of shit – and now it’s helping others. I love freecycle.com
Let's get going folks, I know this hasn't worked as well for everyone, but we CAN achieve it together! It's a NEW year and maybe time for a NEW plan. Either way, what do you REALLY have to lose?

1 comment:

  1. About forty pounds?! :)...

    Congrats on how much you got done last year!

    ReplyDelete